Saturday, August 1, 2009

Me Monday: The Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center

My Mother, sons, sister, niece and I went to the The Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center yesterday. We were there for 2 1/2 hours and only saw the exhibit on the main level (there are three), which is set up with hallways from one small room to another. The rooms are arranged in chronological order, from German-Jewish life before the start of Nazism, to the rise of the Nazi Party, to the concentration camps, to liberation from the camps, and finally to the survivors' assimilation back into society. Each room has a video, running on a continuous loop, that uses a combination of authentic photographs and film clips to support the stories being told by survivors. There are also artifacts and informative placards along the way.

Though I've heard stories, seen movies and read books about the Holocaust before, I am always saddened, frustrated, and angered by the insane cruelty of it all! Don't get me started!

It was a truly moving experience - I highly recommend it to those of you in the Chicago area!

No comments:

Post a Comment