Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Poetry Month, Day 22 - Earth Day!

Last week, I presented at George Lieb School's Literacy Night.  

  


Because the event was in April, I asked if we could do a tie-in with Authors for Earth Day - and they enthusiastically agreed!  As part of the A4ED program, I chose five non-profit conservation organizations and the students at Lieb School researched each and voted for their favorite.  The winning group will receive the stipend I received for presenting at the school. 

The organizations I chose are: 
~ American Cetacean Society 
~ Bat Conservation International 
~ The Humane Society of the US    
~ Rainforest Action Network 
~ Wildlife Conservation Society


The organization that received the most votes was The Wildlife Conservation Society (personally, I was pulling for the bats).




Earth Day
 Today we focus on the earth.
Its conservation brings me mirth.

There's so much that we can do;
here are just a few for you:

Drink your water from a glass.
Plastic bottle?  Take a pass!

Build a compost in your yard. 
Start a garden - grow swiss chard.

Take a walk or ride a bike.
Don't throw out - reuse, recike.

Drive a hybrid - use less fuel.
Bring cloth bags to shop at Jewel*

Power up with wind or sun.

Please don't let your water run.

These few things are just a start.
Let's help the earth and do our part.


* Chicago area grocery store





 Connect with me on Twitter and Facebook.  Plus, sign up for free
email updates from this blog (in the upper right hand side of the page). 

No comments:

Post a Comment